Compton YouthBuild (CYB) delivers workforce, leadership and educational opportunities for under resourced and economically disadvantaged young people from Compton, South Los Angeles and surrounding communities. Our wraparound services include programs, resources, and guidance, and are provided free of charge. The current career pathways of focus are the construction trades, hospitality/culinary arts, and information technology with an emphasis in logistics.
CYB opened its doors in 2013 to provide culturally relevant rigorous instruction within the scope of leadership development and self-sufficiency. Our students are among the most under-served in American society. The vision for students is that they set and achieve their personal and professional goals, including the completion of the secondary educational program and subsequent post-secondary courses. Having overcome personal challenges and barriers, graduates of the program develop a holistic understanding about themselves and their life goals, of what they want to learn, how to go about learning, and how to apply this learning to their daily lives. As a result, students often become passionate about contributing towards making the world a better place for their families and communities.
As an affiliate of YouthBuild USA, Compton YouthBuild is sponsored and operated by EntreNous Youth Empowerment Services Inc., a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. Donations are welcomed and tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
The mission and purpose of EntreNous Youth Empowerment Services (ENYES) is to offer a holistic, human development approach to provide high-quality educational and occupational programs, resources, and services. This improves financial sustainability for traditionally marginalized at-promise youth, families, and the economically-distressed communities they call home. Through the creation of an inclusive, equitable, and nurturing environment, we provide culturally relevant and rigorous instruction - all within the scope of leadership development and self-sufficiency.
Our program provides opportunities in Community Advocacy/Leadership Development, Career Pathways, Counseling, Construction/Vocational training and the ability to obtain a High School Diploma through our educational partnership with YouthBuild Charter School of California (YCSC). Our three program values are:
- Respect – We develop an understanding of one another by respecting each other’s beliefs, culture and space.
- Care – We care for each other by providing a safe place that allows young people to feel comfortable, confident and cared for.
- Compassion – We are compassionate towards each other by having a system of boundaries, high expectations, support and consistency to allow young people the opportunity to reach their goals while overcoming the challenges they face in their day lives.
- Engage young people in meaningful learning opportunities that expand their understanding of the community and world they live in.
- Offer educational, vocational and post-secondary readiness preparation that lead to a sustainable life for themselves and their families.
- Support young people as they face a myriad of obstacles in society.
- Engage in active, authentic and meaningful dialog on community issues.
- Promote cross-cultural leadership by appreciating and respecting each other's beliefs, culture and space.
- Provide young people with a deeper understanding of leadership capacities.
- Develop leaders who are confident in their skills and abilities to identify, act on and improve challenges in their communities.